The private residence of the Joseph Seltzer family was constructed with beauty and class. Mrs. Seltzer was sure to keep up with the times, updating the architectural style and decor of the building several times after its 1884 construction. Its large spacious rooms, cherry, and quarter sawn oak woodwork, four fireplaces, and stained and leaded glass windows have welcomed friends and neighbors to its warm and friendly confines for over a century.
In 1932, when Charlie Dye purchased the home, the building’s beauty and warmth made it a perfect fit for his funeral home. Bob and Catherine have meticulously restored the funeral home to its original Victorian appearance, stripping painted woodwork, discovering a hidden Rookwood fireplace, and making every necessary effort to restore the building and additions to look like an exact architectural fit. It took several years and a lot of hard work, but the results speak for themselves.
In 2001, the community watched as Bob and Catherine completed a 2,000 square foot addition to provide their families with additional space in their time of need. The new addition not only added a significant amount of space to the interior, but also featured a large parking lot expansion doubling the amount of parking the facility had in the past. Putting such a large addition on a century old facility without making it look like an addition was no small feat to accomplish. Years of careful planning allowed the Turners to successfully incorporate this spacious addition, which comfortably seats in excess of 300 to accommodate the largest of funeral services. The interior colors and the abundant use of natural oak and cherry woodwork complement the existing historic structure which makes the addition appear as if it had been part of the original home.
Bob, Catherine, and Jake are proud to offer a funeral facility where there are no steps from the parking area into the funeral home, taking into consideration the needs of the disabled, the elderly, and the infirmed. Likewise, all areas of the funeral home are accessible without the use of steps or elevators. Handicap parking is available at the main entrance. With the addition of all these new features, the Turner Funeral Home has become one of the largest and most modern facilities in North Central Ohio without losing the character and charm that only an old home can provide.
Click a thumbnail to open gallery